What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore—
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over—
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
- Academy of American Poets. “A Brief Guide to Jazz Poetry.” Academy of American Poets. Poets.org, 17 May 2004. Web. 26 Aug 2018.
- Academy of American Poets. “A Brief Guide to the Black Arts Movement.” Academy of America Poets. Poets.org, 19 Feb 2014. Web. 26 Aug 2018.
- The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. “Harlem.” Encyclopaedia Britannica. Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., 4 Aug. 2017. Web. 25 Aug. 2018.
- Hansen, Tom. “On “Harlem”.” Modern American Poetry. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2000. Web. 26 Aug. 2018.
- “Jazz Poetry.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia. 14 May 2018. Web. 26 Aug 2018.
- “Montage of a Dream Deferred.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia. 29 December 2017. Web. 26 Aug 2018.
- Shmoop Editorial Team. “Harlem (Dream Deferred).” Shmoop. Shmoop University, Inc., 11 Nov. 2008. Web. 24 Aug. 2018.
- Spacey, Andrew. “Analysis of Poem “Harlem What Happens to a Dream Deferred?” by Langston Hughes.” Owlcation. HubPages Network, 7 Jan. 2017. Web. 26 Aug. 2018.
Alex “Bones” Niederberger
Hannah Renea “HR” Bumgarner
- Facebook: Honey in My Hair
- Twitter: @honeyinmyhair
- Instagram: @honeyinmyhairpoetry
- Email: email@example.com
Next episode: Monday, September 3rd
I’m saving up for a Big Girl Microphone! Click the coffee mug at the top of the website to find out how you can help!